BOCA RATON, Fla. - Three spring football practices remain for the Florida Atlantic University Owls as they work toward their 2016 spring game and installing a new offense.
Head Coach Charlie Partridge on this spring
- “We are making improvement every day. Obviously, it is the 12th practice with our new offense and we still have a lot of young players on defense. We are where we should be for April. We are not ready to play a game by any stretch but we have made significant progress in a lot of areas this spring. We still have a lot of work to do.”
On the Spring Game
- “Coaches say this all around the country, for us it really is a 15th practice on our way to having 44 practices before the first game. It is something where the fans get a chance to see where we are at and our kids to play in that type of atmosphere.”
- Defense won the day’s first three drives. Jacob Douglas recorded an interception to end the second drive and Trey Hendrickson had a sack on third and long to end drive three.
- Redshirt sophomore Jason Driskel led a scoring drive that began at the minus 40 and ended with a 12-yard pass to graduate student Tyler Cameron for the score. Driskel then found tight end Jacob Wilson in the next series.
- On the next drive, redshirt freshman Kerrith Whyte broke for a long run down the sideline followed by a pounding run by Greg “Buddy” Howell up the middle. The drive ended with a fumble following a first down run that moved the chains.
- The turnover energized the defense who recorded another stop. Douglas recovered a fumble to end the drive and set-up the next situation.
- A 25-yard run by Howell was called back for holding which presented an opportunity for a long field goal by senior kicker Greg Joseph. Joseph made good on the chance.
- Redshirt freshman Daniel Parr used just one play to zip a pass to fellow redshirt freshman Tavaris “Pico” Harrison in the back of the end zone, with the Owls starting at the 10.
- On the next drive, redshirt junior Haiden Nagel came up with a huge tackle, catching the runner by the ankle.
- Howell then used two plays to score from the 10. The first a nine-yard run. The second a one yard punch in. Kamrin Solomon was instrumental in the drive.
- Parr found senior Tony Thomas during the same drill for a TD and the offense then used a little trickery to score with Jason Driskel making the catch in the end zone.
- The day’s work ended with a Joseph field goal.
The Owls will return to the Oxley Fields for a 9 a.m. Tuesday practice. The 2016 REDBLUE Spring Game will be Saturday, April 16th at the FAU Stadium. The Kids Zone will open outside the stadium at 11 a.m. Stadium gates will open at noon and the kick is scheduled for 1 p.m. All events are free and open to the public. For 2016 season tickets call 1-866-FAU-Owls and to follow the team log onto www.fausports.com or on twitter @FAUOwlAthletics or @FAU_Football.