Give it up all for the family. 👌 Great day in Fort Lauderdale. pic.twitter.com/SVE28eWdlG
— FAU Football (@FAU_Football) April 8, 2017
BOCA RATON, Fla - Florida Atlantic University's football team loaded the buses Saturday morning and headed 18 miles south to Broward County where the City of Fort Lauderdale and the Miami Orange Bowl Committee welcomed the Owls to Carter Park.
The day's practice marked the second-annual trip to Carter Park where FAU held spring practice number nine of a permitted 15 2017 spring sessions. A total of 13 Owls on the 2017 spring roster call Broward County home.
- Sophomore Rashad Smith exemplified the tone of the defense with a tackle for loss on the second play of the day
- The defensive twos got into the action with a sack during the next series
carrieswere primarily handled by sophomore "Motor" Devin Singletary, redshirt sophomore Kerrith Whyte, Jr. and "Buddy" Gregory Howell, Jr.
- Several of the receivers contributed to the ball moving down field with redshirt junior Bobby Mitchell making one highlight catch after another, including two scores
- Senior Kamrin Solomon, redshirt sophomore LaDante Harris and James Brunson, redshirt freshman Dominic Milanese and Kyle McGriff were all credited with receptions during the live portion of practice
- The defense was driven by redshirt senior Haiden Nagel who had a sack and broke up a pass over the middle
- Redshirt freshman Jordan Helm hauled in an interception and a 30-yard return before being brought down on the midfield logo
- Redshirt junior Jacoby Blackmon, who is making the move from offensive line to defense cradled in a fumble near the 25-yard line
- The special teams unit also got in a little work with redshirt senior Greg Joseph connecting on two field goals while redshirt freshman Patrick Trepcos made good on his extra point attempt
Head Coach Lane Kiffin
"The number one good thing is - we came out without any serious injuries for our first day of scrimmaging. We got about 45 plays for the ones and about 45 plays for the twos. So, we will be able to evaluate the film on that. Both sides of the ball did well for us and it was their first time doing it. We are not doing as much, maybe, as normal with the depth issues. We were going to scrimmage the last two Saturdays. We went ahead and did it today, probably not next Saturday and then we will be live for the Spring Game (Saturday, April 22)...I thought the defense came out very different than the offense. The defense came out like it was a game. The offense came out like it was a practice. It should have been a sack in the fourth series. It really should have been four three and outs in a row. So, a really good job by the defense. The offense rallied a little bit, but a really good day for the defense by not giving up a bunch of big plays, which has been an issue."
FAU will hold its April 8 practice, this upcoming Saturday, at Carter Park in Broward County. Gates will open at noon. The day is free and open to the public. The 2017 Spring Game is scheduled for 4 p.m., Saturday, April 22 at FAU Stadium. The game and events are free and open to the public. For more event details, as the time approaches visit www.fausports.com. For 2017 season tickets call 1-866-FAU-Owls.