BOCA RATON, Fla. - Florida Atlantic University’s football program continued to stress unit perfection, conditioning and meeting team standards as they powered through the ninth practice of the spring. The 2016 REDBLUE Spring Game less than two weeks away.
Defensive Coordinator Roc Bellantoni on Tuesday’s Practice
- “I’m pretty happy. A lot happier than last spring - that is for sure. Hopefully, the guys who are going to play in the fall are here already. Now you might get some contributions from some freshmen. But, the guys who are going to play or who played last fall are getting better so I’m really happy with the way it is going. ”
- Greg Howell opened the first team session with a run which was followed by a deep pass from Jason Driskel to Kalib Woods.
- Daniel Parr found James Brunson to move the chains.
- Defensively, Denzel Whitfield and Ray Ellis, both defensive tackles looking to fill the void left by graduating seniors, shared a sack.
- Azeez Al-Shaair came up with the first interception of the day.
- Howell ended the drive with a 10-yard run.
- The second team session began with a sack by senior defensive end Trey Hendrickson. Hendrickson finished his junior campaign No. 2 nationally in sacks. He later deflected a pass during the two-minute drill portion that was hauled in by Howell for a gain of a few yards.
- Driskel rattled off three consecutive passes to Brunson, Henry Bussey and Tony Thomas to move the ball down field.
- Defensive end Winston Chastang was then credited with a sack.
- Driskel’s two-minute drill work saw the redshirt sophomore hit Tavaris “Pico” Harrison and Nate Terry before Jalen Young’s hit broke up the second pass to Terry.
- Hunter Snyder grabbed a sack as did Josh Kendall on the following two plays.
- Parr found Tyler Cameron to move the chains during his two-minute drive and just missed a deep pass completion to redshirt sophomore Bobby Mitchell.
- Whitfield recorded his second sack of the morning.
- Lester Thomas came up with an end zone interception which ended the day’s work for the Owls.
The Owls will return to the Oxley Fields for a 9 a.m. Thursday practice. The 2016 REDBLUE Spring Game will be Saturday, April 16th at the FAU Stadium. The Kids Zone will open outside the stadium at 11 a.m. Stadium gates will open at noon and the kick is scheduled for 1 p.m. All events are free and open to the public. For 2016 season tickets call 1-866-FAU-Owls and to follow the team log onto www.fausports.com or on twitter @FAUOwlAthletics or @FAU_Football.