Nov. 19, 2011
Troy, AL - The Florida Atlantic University football team dropped its road finale of the 2011 season, suffering a 34-7 loss to Troy University on Saturday in Troy, Ala.
Leading 3-0 in the second quarter, the Trojans capped a seven-play, 79-yard drive when quarterback Corey Robinson hooked up with Khary Franklin for a 14-yard touchdown reception. The score gave Troy a 10-0 advantage with 3:39 left in the first half.
One minute later, Robinson found Eric Thomas for a 57-yard reception to increase Troy's lead to 17-0.
The Owls wrapped up the furious end to the first half when Alfred Morris scampered into the endzone from 10 yards for his 23rd career rushing touchdown. The score tied him with Charles Pierre for the school record for rushing touchdowns.
Troy secured the victory with 17 fourth-quarter points.
Individually, Morris paced the Owls' offense with 101 yards rushing. It marks the fourth time in his last five games that the Pensacola native has surpassed the century mark on the ground. He also became FAU's record holder for all-purpose yards, passing DiIvory Edgecome.
The Owls (0-10, 0-7 Sun Belt) returns home for the final two games. First up will be a non-conference battle with UAB on Saturday, November 26, starting at 4 p.m. The season finale will be on Saturday, December 3, against the University of Louisiana-Monroe, starting at 4 p.m.
Live statistics and audio of all games can be found at ww.fausports.com. For tickets call the FAU Ticket Office at 1-866-FAU-OWLS.
- Senior Alfred Morris now shares FAU's all-time rushing TD record with Charles Pierre (2004-08), who had 23 during his career. Morris tied the mark by scoring a touchdown with 0:35 remaining in the first quarter.
- Morris is the first non-quarterback listed in touchdowns responsible for and total offensive yards. Morris is the first non-kicker on FAU's all-time points scoring list.
- Morris is now FAU's all-time career leader in all-purpose yards. He moved into first place on the all-time list with a long run in the second quarter.
- Mickey Groody became FAU's all-punt attempt leader, surpassing Andy Rosas (2001-03), who had 199 punts during his career.
- Blake Nehls recovered his first collegiate fumble.
- David Hinds left the game early in the first with a right ankle injury.
- David Baptiste recorded his first collegiate interception in the second quarter.
- Martin Wright drew his second start at outside linebacker. He also saw time in the second quarter on the defensive line.
- Senior Kevin Cyrille recorded a quarterback sack on Troy's first drive of the second quarter. That sack moved him into No. 4 among FAU's career sack leaders with 8.5 sacks.
- True freshman Andrea Kirk had his second game with 10 tackles against Troy. He also had 10 tackles at Louisiana earlier this season.
Football Falls in the Waning Minutes to...
Inside The Owls' Burrow, Featuring Charlie...
Inside the Owls' Burrow, featuring WRs Coach...
Game Week #7, Florida Atlantic at Marshall
Monday Morning with Head Coach Charlie Partridge
Ristic and Hendrickson Honored with FAU Player ...
Owls Fall to Charlotte on Final Play