MIAMI, Fla. - (Dec. 30, 2017) – The Florida Atlantic University men’s basketball team lost a grueling encounter with rival FIU 58-57, in its Conference USA opener on Saturday night. The Owls are 6-7 overall and 0-1 in C-USA play.
FAU trailed 37-28 early in the second half before going on a 15-4 run to take a 43-41 lead with 9:55 to go in the game.
There were five ties and six lead changes in the final 10 minutes. A Panther three put FIU up 54-52 with 2:30 remaining. Gerdarius Troutman responded with a three of his own to put the Owls up 55-54 with 2:01 on the clock. A pair of successful FIU free throw attempts, followed by an Anthony Adger layup put the Owls up 57-56. FIU converted two more free throws for what proved to be the final points with 56 seconds left. The Owls had two chances to regain the lead late, but were unsuccessful and FIU was able to run out the clock.
- Gerdarius Troutman, Jailyn Ingram and Justin Massey all scored 12 points to tie for the team lead.
- Ingram also had five rebounds, three blocks and three steals.
- Massey was able to pull down six rebounds.
- William Pfister had a career high 16 rebounds in the contest.
- Ronald Delph had seven points, four rebounds and two blocks despite playing just 14 minutes due to foul trouble.
The Owls host UAB in their C-USA home opener on Thursday, Jan. 4. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. Live stats and live video will be available at fausports.com. Live audio will be broadcast on ESPN 106.3 FM. In game updates will also be available at twitter.com/FAU_Hoops. For tickets, call the FAU Ticket Office at 1-866-FAU-OWLS.