BOCA RATON, Fla. - A second straight career high scoring performance from Justin Massey helped the Florida Atlantic University men’s basketball team to a 93-75 win over Bethune-Cookman on Saturday night. FAU (4-3) is above .500 for the first time this season.
Massey scored 25 points in the first half, as the Owls built a 29-point lead at the 5:29 mark of the period. BCU (4-4) fought its way back to within eight, 73-65, with less than nine minutes left in the game.
After the Wildcats pulled to within single digits, the Owls responded with a 10-2 run to push the lead back to 16. BCU narrowed the margin to 10, but after FAU missed its first two shots on a possession, Gerdarius Troutman nailed a three to seal the win.
- Justin Massey’s 31 points was the first 30-point game by an FAU player since Pablo Bertone scored 34 against UAB on Feb. 8, 2014.
- FAU scored a season high 93 points. It was the third time this season that the Owls have scored at least 90 points.
- Gerdarius Troutman had 19 points and pulled down a career-high five rebounds.
- Ronald Delph had another solid performance, registering 13 points and nine boards.
- Jailyn Ingram and Anthony Adger each tallied 11 points, giving FAU five players in with double figure scoring.
FAU Head Coach Michael Curry
“I thought we did a great job defensively (in the first half). We were really locked (in) defensively. I was really pleased with our guys’ mentality, coming out, being aggressive and throwing the first punch.”
FAU will travel to in-state rival Florida Gulf Coast on Tuesday, Dec. 5. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. A link to live stats will be available at fausports.com. The game will air on ESPN3. Live audio will be available on ESPN 106.3 FM. In game updates will also be available at twitter.com/FAU_Hoops.