BOCA RATON, Fla. - (Nov. 28, 2017) – A torrid second half shooting performance propelled the Florida Atlantic University men’s basketball team to a 91-54 victory over Ave Maria on Tuesday. The Owls evened their record at 3-3 on the year with the win.
FAU got out to an early 18-9 lead in the first half, but the Gyrenes (1-7) used an 18-4 run to take a 27-22 edge with 5:16 to go before halftime. The Owls rallied to take a two-point advantage into the locker room.
The Owls’ cushion was still two, 37-35, three minutes into the second half when FAU exploded, outscoring Ave Maria 50-11 over the next 13 and a half minutes to build a 41-point lead.
- Justin Massey scored a career-high 24 points, 19 of them coming in the second half.
- Ronald Delph just missed a double-double, tallying 16 points and eight rebounds.
- Jailyn Ingram registered 11 points.
- Gerdarius Troutman tallied 10 points, four steals and two rebounds.
- The Owls shot 77.4 percent from the field in the second half, including 86.9 percent (20-23) from two-point range.
- Payton Hulsey came off the bench to dish out eight assists.
- FAU scored 91 points for second home game in a row. The Owls also scored 91 in their home opener against Edward Waters.
FAU Head Coach Michael Curry
On starting the game in zone defense
“We knew we could wear them down with our man-to-man pressure, but we wanted to start out in the matchup (zone), because we have to be able to play the matchup (zone) against teams that can really score the basketball.”
FAU will host Bethune-Cookman on Saturday, Dec. 2. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. Live video and live stats will be available at fausports.com. Live audio will be available on ESPN 106.3 FM. In game updates will also be available at twitter.com/FAU_Hoops. For tickets, call the FAU Ticket Office at 1-866-FAU-OWLS.