FRISCO, Texas – The 11th-seeded Florida Atlantic University men’s basketball team lost to no. 6 seed UAB 83-72 in the first round of the C-USA Tournament on Wednesday night.
UAB built an early eight point lead by making five of its first six attempts from the floor. A Jailyn Ingram jumper pulled FAU to within a point at 22-21 at the six minute mark, but the Blazers responded with a 14-3 run to push the lead to a dozen. Ronald Delph hit a jumper just before the halftime buzzer to trim UAB’s cushion to 40-30 at the break.
The Blazers went on a 17-5 run early in the second half to take a 59-38 lead and the margin remained in double-digits until the final minute of the game.
- Ronald Delph finished with 22 points and nine rebounds to lead FAU in both categories.
- Delph ends his FAU career with 636 rebounds, third most in school history. 168His 270 boards this season is the third highest single season total.
- Delph’s 168 career blocks is also third in school history.
- Justin Massey made three three-pointers in the game. Both Massey and Gerdarius Troutman ended the season with 75 for the year, the seventh best single-season total in school history.
- Troutman’s .420 career three-point percentage is good for third place in program history.
FAU Head Coach Michael Curry
“We ended up having to go smaller tonight, but what ends up happening is that you’re not as good defensively or rebounding the basketball.”
The Owls finish their season with a 12-19 record and will have to replace four starters for the 2018-19 campaign.