BOCA RATON, Fla. - The five Florida Atlantic University men's basketball players who took their home court for the final time went out in style with a 74-54 win over North Texas on Saturday. The win clinched a Conference USA tournament berth for the Owls, who improved to 12-16 overall and 6-10 in league play.
FAU scored the game's first seven points and led by as many as eight early in the first half, but the Mean Green (14-15, 7-9) went on a 10-0 run to take 14-12 lead halfway through the frame. The two teams went back and forth for the next several minutes.
After a layup put North Texas ahead 26-22 with exactly 5:30 to go in the half, FAU scored the next 12 points to take a 34-26 lead at the half.
The Mean Green pulled to within three points on three separate occasions early in the second half, but the Owls reeled off a 32-8 run that put the game away.
- The five Owl seniors made their presence felt in their final home game, scoring 70 of the team's 74 points.
- Justin Massey tallied 24 points to lead all scorers and added five rebounds.
- Gerdarius Troutman scored 19 points, including going 8-of-9 from the free throw line.
- Payton Hulsey contributed a solid all-around game, tallying 12 points, eight rebounds, five assists and three steals.
- Ronald Delph had 11 points, six blocks and four rebounds.
- William Pfister notched four points, grabbed 10 rebounds and dished out three assists.
- Defensively, FAU held North Texas to just 31.3 percent from the floor, the lowest of any FAU opponent this season.
FAU Head Coach Michael Curry
"We have to do a good job of finishing (the regular season) the right way and keep getting ourselves ready for tournament play."
The Owls wrap up the regular season on the road next week. FAU will face Old Dominion at 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 1. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. A link to live stats and live video will be available at fausports.com. Fans can hear the game on ESPN 106.3 and live in-game updates will be available at the team's official Twitter account, @FAU_Hoops. For tickets to the C-USA tournament, log on to FAUSports.com.