HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- The Florida Atlantic University men's basketball team tied its season high with 15 made three-pointers in a 94-82 win over Southern Miss on Saturday. The 94 points are the most against a Division I opponent this year for the Owls, who improved to 9-16 on the season and 5-9 in Conference USA play.
The Turning Point
USM (8-19, 5-10) hit a triple to pull within five, 48-43, just over three and a half minutes into the second half. FAU went on a 16-5 run over the next 4:35 to push its advantage to 64-48. The Golden Eagles never got closer than 11 the rest of the way.
- FAU won for the fourth time in its last five road games.
- Gerdarius Troutman had career highs in both points (25) and three-pointers (seven) to lead the Owls in both categories.
- Adonis Filer made all four of his field goal attempts and hit nine of 10 from the charity stripe to score 17 points.
- Justin Massey hit four shots from beyond the arc on his way to a 14-point night.
- Nick Rutherford had 10 points and five assists.
- Ronald Delph had a solid all-around game, scoring 13 points, pulling down seven rebounds, blocking three shots and dishing out two assists.
- FAU shot 68.2 percent from three-point range and 61.2 percent from the floor. The Owls are the first team to shoot better than 60 percent against USM since UAB did it on Feb. 8. 2012.
- As a team, the Owls committed just five turnovers on the afternoon, one off of the school record for fewest in a game.
Head Coach Michael Curry
"I felt we'd have some games during the year where we would make between 10 and 15 threes because we have so many guys that can shoot the ball."
"Gerdarius is a contagious shooter, when he's making shots, the other guys feel that they can make shots too. It was a tremendous performance for him and another good road win for our guys."
The Owls return home to host UTEP on Thursday, Feb. 23. The game starts at 7 p.m. Live stats and live video will be available at fausports.com. The game also will be broadcast on ESPN 106.3 FM. Live updates will be available at the team's official Twitter account, @FAU_Hoops.