BOWLING GREEN, Kent. – An second half offensive drought was the difference in the Florida Atlantic University men’s basketball team’s 75-63 loss to WKU on Thursday night. The loss dropped the Owls to 10-14 overall and 4-8 in Conference USA play.
FAU trailed the Hilltoppers (17-7, 8-2) 31-23 with less than four minutes remaining in the first half, then went on an 11-4 run, capped off by a Gerdarius Troutman jumper just before the buzzer, to pull within 35-34 at the break.
WKU was able to maintain a small, but stubborn lead for most of the second half. Ronald Delph hit a free throw line jumper to trim the Hilltoppers’ lead to three, 61-58, with five minutes to go in the game. That would be FAU’s last field goal for nearly four minutes. In that time, WKU stretched its lead to a dozen to clinch the victory.
- Gerdarius Troutman led all scorers with 21 points, his third 20-point game of the season. That ties him with Justin Massey for most on the team.
- Justin Massey scored 13 points and grabbed five rebounds.
- Ronald Delph and Anthony Adger each had 10 points for the Owls.
- Payton Hulsey had only five points, but pulled down eight rebounds and dished out four assists.
- The five FAU seniors scored 49 of the team’s 63 points and 24 of its 36 rebounds.
FAU Head Coach Michael Curry
“We had a couple of bad possessions and (WKU’s) lead went from three to six to nine in a hurry. (We also gave WKU) too many points in the paint.
The Owls travel to Marshall on Saturday, Feb. 10. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. A link to live stats and live video will be available at fausports.com. Fans can hear the game on ESPN 106.3 and live in-game updates will be available at the team’s official Twitter account, @FAU_Hoops.