BOCA RATON, Fla. - (Feb. 9, 2017) – An off shooting night proved too much to overcome as the Florida Atlantic University men’s basketball team lost to North Texas 70-64 on Thursday night. The loss snapped what had been a season long three game winning streak for the Owls.
The Turning Point
FAU (8-14, 4-7 C-USA) scored ten straight points, capped off by a Jeantal Cylla three, to take a 43-42 lead with 12:45 remaining in the game. North Texas (7-16, 1-10) responded with 11 unanswered points to make the score 53-43.
Adonis Filer hit his second triple of the night to cut FAU’s deficit to 66-62 with 52 seconds left. However, the Mean Green made all four of its free throw attempts down the stretch to seal the win.
- FAU has lost the last six meetings with North Texas.
- Jeantal Cylla led FAU with 12 points and also had six rebounds.
- Justin Massey had 11 points, three rebounds and two assists.
- Adonis Filer had 10 points and five assists without committing a turnover.
- Ronald Delph posted eight points, seven rebounds and two blocks.
- The Owls attempted 39 three-pointers in the game. That’s the most under Michael Curry.
Head Coach Michael Curry
“We didn’t shoot the ball well tonight, we missed a lot of open shots and we didn’t convert in the paint. We have to play better than that.
The Owls host Rice on Saturday, Feb. 11. The game starts at 7 p.m. Live stats and live video will be available at fausports.com. The game also will be broadcast on ESPN 106.3 FM. Live updates will be available at the team’s official Twitter account, @FAU_Hoops.