BOCA RATON, Fla. - (Feb. 3, 2018) –A cold shooting first half proved to the undoing of the Florida Atlantic University men’s basketball team, as the Owls fell to Southern Miss 77-66 on Saturday night.
FAU (10-13, 4-7 Conference USA) scored on three of its first four trips down the court and held an early 6-3 lead. The Golden Eagles (12-12, 5-6) responded to take the lead and a Gerdarius Troutman three cut the margin to one, 16-15, at the 10:24 mark in the first half. The Owls scored just six points the rest of the stanza and a Tyree Griffin jumper at the buzzer gave USM a 38-21 lead at the half. The Owls shot just 28.6 percent from the floor in the first half.
After a Dominic Magee triple pushed the lead to 20, FAU was able to trim its deficit to single on four separate occasions, but each time USM answered back with a surge to increase the lead.
- Payton Hulsey scored a team-high 16 points for FAU.
- Gerdarius Troutman scored 15 points, going 3-for-3 from behind the arc and making all four of his free throw attempts.
- Justin Massey tallied 12 points and dished out four assists.
- William Pfister posted five points and pulled down 12 rebounds.
- As a team, the Owls outrebounded USM 34-24 on the night.
The Owls travel to Bowling Green to face WKU on Thursday, Feb. 8. Tip-off is set for 8:30 p.m. eastern. The game will air on Fox College Sports and a link to live stats will be available at fausports.com. Fans can hear the game on ESPN 106.3 and live in-game updates will be available at the team’s official Twitter account, @FAU_Hoops.