HOUSTON, Texas – Justin Massey hit a deep three-pointer as the buzzer sounded to give the Florida Atlantic University men’s basketball team a 63-62 win over Rice on Saturday. FAU improves to 10-11 overall and 4-5 in Conference USA play. FAU has won four of its last six games.
Rice began the game hot, making four of its first five attempts from the floor, all from behind the arc, but FAU was able to stay close and used an 8-0 run to take a 17-12 lead. The cushion remained eight at the half, 30-22.
Rice began the second half the same way it began the first, going on a 14-5 run to take a 36-35 edge. The Texas version of the Owls stretched their lead to six, 50-44, with 7:35 remaining in the game. A Gerdarius Troutman triple tied the game at 54-54 with just over four minutes on the clock. The score would be tied three more times, the final one coming at 60-60 with 1:03 to go. Rice’s Connor Cashaw hit a jumper with 3.2 seconds to go.
Payton Hulsey took the inbounds pass and hit Massey along the right wing. Massey rose up and drilled the game-winner from approximately 35 feet to give FAU the victory.
- Massey finished with 18 points, including the game-winner to go along with five assists.
- Ronald Delph led all scorers with 20 points and also pulled down five rebounds.
- Delph passed Damon Arnette for fifth place in FAU history with 554 career rebounds.
- Gerdarius Troutman added 10 points.
- William Pfister had four points and 11 rebounds.
- Payton Hulsey tallied five assists, seven rebounds and a steal.
- FAU outrebounded Rice 41-34.
FAU Head Coach Michael Curry
“These Saturday games are tough, but our guys stuck with it. The last two Saturdays on the road (at UTSA and Rice), we’ve made big shots at the end.”
The Owls return home to host Louisiana Tech on Thursday, Feb. 1. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. Live stats will be available at fausports.com. The game will air on STADIUM. Live audio will be broadcast on ESPN 106.3 FM. In game updates will also be available at twitter.com/FAU_Hoops.