EL PASO, TEXAS – The Florida Atlantic University men’s basketball team used a hot shooting second half to snap a six-game losing streak and defeat UTEP 73-66 on Thursday night. The Owls are 7-9 overall and 1-3 in Conference USA play.
The Miners (6-11, 1-4 C-USA) built an eight-point lead at the nine-minute mark of the first half. FAU rallied to within two with less than a minute left in the half, but a UTEP triple just beat the halftime buzzer to but the Miners up 34-29 at the break.
The Turning Point
Trailing 39-32 early in the second half, the Owls went on a 29-9 run to take a 61-48 lead with six minutes left to go in the game. UTEP responded with an 11-0 run to pull within two at 61-59 with 3:48 remaining.
FAU answered with five straight points, capped by a Ronald Delph dunk to go up seven with 1:35 on the clock. The Miners hit a three-pointer to narrow the margin to four, but the Owls went 6-for-7 from the free throw line down the stretch to seal the victory.
- Ronald Delph scored 12 points and had a career high 17 rebounds for his 10th career double-double.
- Delph became the seventh player in FAU history with 500 career rebounds. He passed Mike Bell for 7th place with 515 rebounds.
- Justin Massey paced the Owls with 18 points, 13 coming in the second half and added four rebounds.
- Payton Hulsey had 14 points, five rebounds, three steals and two assists.
- FAU outshot UTEP 43 percent to 39 percent in the second half.
- For the game, the Owls outrebounded the Miners 49-33.
FAU Head Coach Michael Curry
“We have to play aggressive and get to the free throw line…we were able to drive the basketball.”
The Owls travel to UTSA on Saturday, Jan. 13. Tipoff is set for 3 p.m. ET. Live stats and live video will be available at fausports.com. Live audio will be broadcast on ESPN 106.3 FM. In game updates will also be available at twitter.com/FAU_Hoops.
- FAU -