June 3, 2013
CHAPEL HILL, NC -
The Florida Atlantic University versus University of North Carolina baseball game is currently in a weather delay.
While you wait here are some interesting facts about the 2013 Owls
Florida Atlantic University's baseball team, ranked No. 23, pulled off the improbable Sunday night by defeating the University of North Carolina, the Nation's No. 1 team and the Chapel Hill Regional top seed, 3-2.
The victory, played before 4,100 screaming UNC fans and a national audience, forced a winner take all game that will air 6 p.m. tonight on ESPN3.com and will be featured, audio only, on the Florida Atlantic Athletic Department's website www.fausports.com. ESPN106.3's Ken LaVicka will have the game's call.
- FAU has won 14 of its last 15, all but one win captured on the road
- The last time FAU defeated a team ranked No. 1 was Florida State in 1997
- The last time FAU captured a NCAA Regional was 2002, the only other time they participated in a Regional Tournament outside the state of Florida
- Four teams from the state of Florida were selected to participate in the 2013 NCAA Post-Season Tournament (FSU, UF, UM and FAU). Only two advanced to the championship game. FAU and FSU, which is hosting in Tallahassee.
- FAU is one of just six teams to defeat UNC this year, Virginia and Georgia Tech captured two each, which is what the Owls hope to do tonight.
- FAU's record: 42-21, fourth 40+ win season since 2000 and Head Coach John McCormack's first.
- UNC's record: 54-9
- FAU Starter: Jeremy Strawn 5-3. The junior threw five innings last Friday and is expected to be relieved early. Sophomore Austin Gomber, senior Michael Sylvestri, junior Kevin Alexander, junior Alex Koji, freshman Kyle Miller and senior all-time FAU and Sun Belt Conference save leader Hugh Adams are available for action.
- Offensively, the Owls will look to seniors Nathan Pittman and Corey Keller who have provided Regional Tournament heroics as well as sophomore Ricky Santiago who hit the three-run homer, Sunday night, to send the two teams into a winner take all game.
- UNC Starter: senior right-hander Chris Munnelly, 6-0 2.36 ERA, will start for UNC.
- Offensively, UNC tallied 12 hits Sunday night and despite getting 20 men on base were held to just two runs by the Owls.
- McCormack has been at the helm of FAU since 2009. Since that time FAU has captured two regular-season championships and one SBC tournament title, as well as two post-season appearances.
Twelve Owls Take Part in Summer Leagues
FAU's Devon Carr Signs With Houston Astros
CJ Chatham, Cameron Ragsdale Named First Team...
FAU's Billy Endris Drafted by Arizona...
FAU's Robbie Coursel Drafted by Pittsburgh Pirates
FAU's Colyn O'Connell Drafted by Detroit Tigers
FAU's David McKay Drafted by Royals in 14th Round