WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – The Florida Atlantic University baseball team got the season’s final week off on the right foot, sweeping the yearly series with No. 29 UCF after their 9-4 win on Tuesday night from The Ballpark of the Palm Beaches.
The Turning Point
The Owls (31-18-1) plated seven runs in the first three innings, capped by a four-spot in the third, turning a one-run lead into five. With one out, five straight batters reached, with runs scoring on a passed ball, an RBI single by Kevin Abraham (his second in as many innings), a wild pitch, and a sacrifice fly off the bat of Austin Langham. That made it a 7-2 game.
FAU got two more in the sixth to extend the edge. David Miranda knocked in Langham with a one-out triple and two pitches later, Esteban Puerta drove him in with an RBI single. Meanwhile, five FAU relievers made a winner out of Marc Stewart (2-1) by allowing just one earned run over the final six innings of play.
- Langham, Miranda, Puerta and Abraham all had two hits; Langham, Miranda and Abraham each had two RBI
- Sean Labsan and Eric Rivera each scored twice
- Stewart struck out three batters and allowed just two hits and one earned run in three innings of efficient work
- Nick Swan, Alex House, Cameron Ragsdale, Andrew Jones and Mike Ruff were the relief quintet in question, and each had at least one strikeout for a total of 11 in the game
- By virtue of four assists at second base Tuesday (including the one to end the game), Stephen Kerr is now the all-time leader in that category in FAU history with 546, one more than the previous record holder, Nick Delguidice
“We love (playing at The Ballpark of the Palm Beaches), we’re 2-0 and we’ve scored 22 runs and given up five runs,” said Head Coach John McCormack. “It’s really good to swing the bats (well), and we got a lot of guys in the game to pitch. That was the plan going in and it worked out.”
The final series of the season is this week at FAU Baseball Stadium. The first of three games against Old Dominion is Thursday night at 6:30 p.m.
Baseball’s Miednik Earns C-USA Pitcher of...
Miednik, Host of Seniors Lead FAU Baseball to...
Baseball Toppled in Ninth Inning Friday by No. ...
Baseball Dispatches No. 25 Old Dominion in...
Baseball Wraps Regular Season with Crucial...
Baseball Rebounds with Resounding Midweek Win...
Baseball Heads to West Palm Beach for Second Time