TAMPA, Fla. – The Florida Atlantic University men’s and women’s cross country squads totaled an even 10 personal bests on Friday evening, while placing a combined eight runners in the respective top 30 on both sides, in the regular season finale for each, the USF Invitational.
- The top five Owl men either exceeded or tied their personal collegiate best in the 8K
- Jonathan Werble and Lachlan Shiver finished back-to-back, 13th and 14th, in best times of 26:57 (16 seconds faster) and 27:12 (45 seconds), respectively
- John Marting too earned a PR in 27:51, placing 25th
- Sean Barone matched his best of 27:58 for 29th, and fellow freshman Cristian Moreno lopped nearly a minute off his (56 seconds to be exact), placing 36th in 28:27
- Erica Lersch raced to a new best of 19:18 to place 15th overall
- Sophia Clark finished 18th (19:39, 15 seconds faster than her previous best) and Liz Wellman came in in 23rd (19:33)
- Three Owls placed within five slots of one another: Bethany Hardcastle (30th), Christina Schultz (32nd) and Mikaela Jonsson (34th)
- Also with PR’s were Brooke Butterfield (20:55) and Christina Humphries (21:03)
The squad’s first postseason meet, the 2017 Conference USA Cross Country Championships, emanates from Clinton, Mississippi on Saturday, Oct. 28.