CORAL GABLES, Fla. - The Florida Atlantic University track and field team wrapped the Hurricane Invitational with great personal finishes and career showings at Cobb Stadium on Saturday.
- In the 800 meters, freshman Mikaela Jonsson placed third to tie for the women's highest finish of the day, and her time of 2:14.18 is eighth on the all-time top 10. Carydaliz Fontanez was fourth collegiate finisher, and she is just out of the top 10 - 11th - at 2:17.62
- In the same race, Erica Lersch (2:22.69) and Cianna Gopie (a PR of 2:23.77) were seventh and eighth
- Also finishing third Saturday was Liz Wellman in her first-ever outdoor meet, racing the 1,500 meters in a time of 4:38.06
- Jonsson was the sixth-fastest college finisher in the 1,500 (4:50.61), while Christina Schultz was 11th (5:02.44). Both set new bests
- The 400 meter was another particularly notable race. Sherline Valentin (sixth, 56.03) and Berneta Boldin (eighth among college runners, 56.99) had big-time personal bests, and Valentin jumped up to eighth all-time while Boldin is 12th
- Three Owls had PR's in the 200 meters: Crystal McDougle (25.26), Frida Thorsås (26.28) and Fasheba Funeus (26.34)
- McDougle was the fifth-fastest collegian in the 100 hurdles (14.54) and Cassidy Smith was 12th (15.10)
- In the 400-meter hurdles, Sitia Martinez (1:03.78), Anne-Catherine Wasser (1:03.94) and Smith (1:04.37) were fifth, sixth and eighth in the race, and Wasser is now 10th-fastest all-time with her PR
- The Owls' A-squad in the 4x400 relay placed fourth. Boldin, Valentin, Martinez and Regina Wilkerson ran to a time of 3:52.08
- Lachlan Shiver led the men in the 1,500 meters Saturday, coming in second in a field of 18 with a time of 4:08.02. Ross Rabalais placed fourth among college runners (4:13.95), and one spot behind him was Jonathan Werble (4:17.98)
- Shiver now ranks fifth all-time among men's runners in the outdoor 1,500, and Rabalais cracked the top 10 at No. 9
"We had a great start to the outdoor season," said Head Coach Alex Smolka. "We are still in heavy training mode, so to come out and have a bunch of people set new PR's and place themselves on the top performance list is a testament to their hard work and dedication. We're excited to see what the next few weeks will bring."
The squad returns to Coral Gables next Saturday for Hurricane Invitational #2, a Saturday affair only.