April 15, 2012
CORAL GABLES, FL - The Florida Atlantic women's track squad compiled 13 top-10 finishes, while some select men's mid- and long-distance runners added five more, including a new school record in this weekend's UM Alumni Invite.
Freshman Michael Vidal shaved a minute and a half off his own FAU school record in the men's 1,500-meter run, set nearly a month before. Finishing in a time of 3:53.46 this weekend, he eclipsed his previous mark of 3:55.07 set on March 16th.
Vidal finished as runner-up in the 1,500 meters as well, while earning a 10th place finish in the 800-meter run (1:57.93). Also in the 1,500, Sean Herring was eighth (4:05.40), with Eric Kessler a slot behind him (4:07.34). In the 3,000 meters, Ryan Davis finished third (9:01.02), with Herring just out of the top 10 by .45 seconds (11th, 9:27.84).
The highest women's finisher in the meet was Ashani Roberts, second in the triple jump at 12.43 meters. Paige Lawton's fourth place finish (10:58.72) was one of three FAU top-10 marks in the 3,000 meters, while Deanna Loafman added a fifth-place run in the 1,500 meters (4:59.08). The FAU 4x400 squad of Valerie Dixon, Anna-Lisa Myers, Danielle Aromashodu and Annakay Dennis also earned a fifth place finish (3:51.11)
Other Owls in the top 10 were:
- Danielle Aromashodu, 400 meter hurdles (6th, 1:01.53)
- Helen Mann, 1,500 meters (6th, 5:00.62)
- Loafman, 3,000 meters (8th, 11:11.98)
- Candice Patrick, 1,500 meters (8th, 5:08.96)
- Megan Bary, 3,000 meters (9th, 11:13.01)
- Joelle Etienne, triple jump (9th, 11.46 meters)
- Jessica Jetmore, pole vault (9th, 2.75 meters)
- Lauren Walton, 400 meter hurdles (9th, 1:03.01)
- Bary, 1,500 meters (10th, 5:10.28)
FAU will have their final full squad regular season meet next weekend in Gainesville at the Tom Jones Memorial Invitational.