March 17, 2012
CORAL GABLES, FL – The Florida Atlantic track team began their outdoor season at the Miami Hurricane Invitational with 13 top-five finishes, including placing each of the top four in the women’s triple jump.
Senior Ashani Roberts saw her indoor success continue with another first-place finish in the triple jump, with a long leap of 12.28 meters. Teammates Tatiana David (11.72m), Joelle Etienne (11.56m) and Demitria Brown (11.22m) finished 2-3-4, respectively.
David added two more top finishes, fourth place in the 100-meter hurdles (16.39) and third in the long jump, at 5.45 meters. Etienne finished eighth in the latter event, while Brown was ninth.
Danielle Aromashodu had a runner-up finish in the 400-meter hurdles. The senior finished just .18 seconds behind the event winner, at 1:01.95. Lauren Walton finished fifth in the race at 1:03.60, while Caitlin Jackson was eighth and Emily Stetzer ninth.
In the high jump, junior Anna-Lisa Myers finished second at 1.55 meters. The squad also added a second- and third-place finish in the 1,500 meters, by Michelle Jax (4:37.57) and Rebecca Hallam (4:38.94).
Rounding out the FAU women’s top-10 finishes were:
- 4x400 meter dash team of Dana Cannon, Aromashodu, Walton, Ashley Hinds (4th, 3:56.49)
- Jessica Jetmore, Pole Vault (4th, 2.89 meters)
- Stacy Paton, 5,000 meters (5th, 18:17.61)
- Annakay Dennis, 400 meters (6th, 55.87)
- Deanna Loafman, 5,000 meters (8th, 19:07.55)
- 4x400 meter dash team of Loafman, Amanda Worley, Stetzer, Jackson (8th, 4:09.30)
- Paige Lawton, 1,500 meters (10th, 4:59.14)
- Candice Patrick, 5,000 meters (10th, 19:34.13)
The team also sent eight men’s distance runners to the event. The top finishers in the two events that were entered into were Eric Kessler (7th in the 1,500 meters, 4:02.06) and Ryan Davis (9th in the 5,000 meters, 16:05.43).
Next weekend’s outdoor competition for the Owls will be held in Orlando, the UCF Black and Gold Challenge. Events will begin on Friday, March 23.