Distance runner Michelle Jax finished second overall in the 1-mile run
Jan. 17, 2012
The Florida Atlantic track team compiled 15 top-10 finishes in their season opening meet Saturday in Gainesville at the Jimmy Carnes Invitational.
The team's highest finisher was Ashani Roberts, who won the triple jump at the meet with a long leap of 11.99 meters. She was one of four Owls to in the top 10 in the event, including the third-place finisher, Tatiana David (11.38m).
Also finishing near the top of their event on Saturday was distance runner Michelle Jax, who was runner-up in the 1-mile run. Her time of 5:03.82 was just a little over two seconds behind the winner.
Other top 10 finishers in the meet were:
- Distance Medley relay team of Helen Mann, Caitlin Jackson, Sarah Veazey and Megan Bary (2nd, 12:52.84)
- Danielle Aromashodu, 400-meter dash (4th, 58.25)
- Stacy Paton, 5000-meter run (4th, 18:36.61)
- 4x400-meter relay team of Aromashodu, Emily Stetzer, Dana Cannon and Valerie Dixon (4th, 3:59.92)
- Stetzer, 800-meter run (5th, 2:22.50)
- Anna-Lisa Myers, High Jump (T-6th, 1.56m)
- Joelle Etienne, Triple Jump (7th, 11.15m)
- Demetria Brown, Triple Jump (8th, 10.90m)
- David, 55-meter hurdles (8th, 8.57)
- Dixon, 800-meter run (8th, 2:23.86)
- Jessica Jetmore, Pole Vault (10th, 2.75m)
The squad will compete again this Sunday in the Gator Invitational. It will be held at the same venue, the Stephen C. O'Connell Center at the University of Florida.