April 6, 2012
BOCA RATON, FL - The Florida Atlantic swimming and diving team recently held their end-of-year banquet, handing out seven team awards and bidding farewell to 12 seniors.
For the women, junior Eszter Bucz was named team MVP. The Budapest, Hungary native brought home two Sun Belt Conference Championships and was part of five school record-breaking performances at that event. In all, the team broke 14 school records over the four-day event in Rockwell, Texas.
On the men's side, senior Mikolaj Czarnecki was chosen as team MVP. Czarnecki, from Lublin, Poland, is the 2012 Conference Champion in the 200-yard butterfly, and was also part of the new FAU record-setting 400-yard freestyle relay squad.
The diving MVP is Ronald Cortina. The senior, from Miami, broke the school record and became conference champion with his performance on the 3-meter boards, and won two SBC Diver of the Week awards during the regular season.
Cortina and Czarnecki are among the 12-member senior class that was honored at the banquet. The full list of departing members is as follows:
- Stephanie Barker, Sprint Freestyle/Butterfly, Plant City, FL
- Cortina, Diving, Miami, FL
- Czarnecki, Butterfly/Freestyle, Lublin, Poland
- Anthony Fermin, Sprint Freestyle/Butterfly, Pembroke Pines, FL
- Jennifer Garland, Butterfly/IM, Damascus, MD
- Erin Hersey, Butterfly/IM, Londonderry, NH
- Ryan King, Diving, Venice Beach, CA
- Melissa Miller, Butterfly/Distance Freestyle, Orlando, FL
- Jonna Nyback, Sprint Freestyle, Koping, Sweden
- Csaba Pek, Backstroke/IM, Budapest, Hungary
- Elizabeth Starke, Butterfly/Backstroke, Coon Rapids, MN
- Jonathan Van Zee, Sprint/Mid Distance Freestyle, Lake Worth, FL
Swimming & Diving Places Fifth in the C-USA...
Swimming & Diving in Fifth heading into the...
Swimming & Diving Receives Conference All-Acade...
Swimming & Diving Finished Day Two of C-USA...
Swimming and Diving Set Two School Records on...
Men's Swimming & Diving finish Fifth in the...
Swimming & Diving had a record day on the Third...