Boca Raton, Fla. -
Florida Atlantic University men’s swimming and diving is gearing up for the Coastal Collegiate Sports Association (CCSA) 2017 Swimming and Diving Championships being held this week, Feb. 15-18, at the Gabrielson Natatorium on the campus of the University of Georgia in Athens.
The men will go up against seven opponents including NJIT, Old Dominion and Gardner-Webb, all three of which they beat during the regular season. Additional challengers include Howard, Incarnate Word, UMBC and VMI. The Owls will look to emerge victorious over last year’s winner UMBC.
All preliminary events will be held at 10 a.m. each day except for the first day of competition, Feb. 15, when the men’s 1-meter diving prelims will take place at 4 p.m. followed by the 800-yard freestyle relay, 200-yard medley relay and 1-meter diving finals at 6 p.m. Moving forward, all finals begin at 6 p.m. each night.
For the first time in conference history, the live stream for this year's CCSA Swimming and Diving Championship swill be free. Every session, and the final awards ceremony, can be viewed by going to http://BigSouthSports.com/Watch or clicking the links below for each individual session. Fans can also follow FAU on Twitter @fauswimdive for updates throughout the meet.
Owls to Watch:
- 2016 CCSA Diver of the Year Ryan McIntire will look to defend his titles in the 1-meter and 3-meter. He currently holds the top scores in the conference in both events and is the owner of the FAU records for each. McIntire is a five-time CCSA Diver of the Week this year and has five wins apiece in the two events.
- John Brennock will compete in the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard backstroke in which he holds the CCSA top times of 20.58 and 48.80. The junior has five wins in the 100 back and two in the 50 free this year.
- Senior John Nolte will showcase his talents in the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard butterfly as he holds the third (20.85) and fourth (50.28) best times in the league, respectively. He will also swim the 100-yard freestyle and 100-yard breaststroke where he has the fourth (56.75) and fifth best times (45.72).
- Connor Smoak will join Brennock in the 100-yard freestyle. The freshman is sixth in the CCSA in this event with a time of 46.13. Cole Wisecarver will be one of the Owls’ representatives in the 200-yard freestyle holding the fifth best time in the league (1:41.03). Swimming the 500-yard freestyle will be Connor Hodges who is sixth in the conference in this race (4:35.45).
- Also competing in the 100 back with Brennock will be Christian Pineiro. His time of 51.24 ranks fifth in the CCSA. The sophomore will also swim the 200-yard backstroke, holding the fifth best time (1:50.78), where he will be joined by Alex Taber who is fourth in the league (1:49.92).
- Sitting fourth in the CCSA (1:51.34), Michael Rahrig will swim the 200-yard butterfly. Calvin Lillo is also fourth in his signature event (4:02.00), the 400 IM, and will compete in this event.
Live Stream Links (direct to each event session):
Day One, Evening Session
Day Two, Morning Session
Day Two, Evening Session
Day Three, Morning Session
Day Three, Evening Session
Day Four, Morning Session
Day Four, Evening Session (Finals and awards)