Norfolk, Va. -
Florida Atlantic University swimming and diving concluded day two of George Mason's Patriot Invitational by setting multiple lifetime bests and grabbing two more wins as diver Ryan McIntire picked up his second and John Brennock saw his first solo victory of the meet. The women moved up in the rankings, jumping two spots to seventh with 147 points, and the men held on to sixth with 360 points, just four shy of George Mason in fifth place.
"Again what a great job from our divers Ryan (McIntire) and Miles (Miller), first and second, respectively. I couldn't be happier for them and for our team," said Head Swimming and Diving Coach Lara Preacco. "The swimmers focused on some technical details that we talked about yesterday and were able to surpass themselves today. They truly amaze me in their dedication to make themselves, their team and their teammates better, day in and day out. They deserve a high five this weekend...I am truly proud."
Making A Splash
- Brennock earned first in the 100-yard backstroke, his fourth win of the year in this event, with a time of 49.01 after setting the meet record during prelims with a time of 48.93.
- McIntire claimed victory in the 3-meter dive for the second time this season with a final score of 304.70. Freshman Miles Miller was right there with him to claim another second-place finish with a final score of 262.60 in the 3-meter.
- Brennock, Phillip Crouch III, John Nolte and Colin Kozak made up the 200-yard medley relay team that began the finals with a second-place finish (1:31.88).
- Taking first in the 400-yard IM "B" final was Calvin Lillo with a lifetime best time of 4:02.00.
- With a second-place finish, and 10th overall, in the 100-yard butterfly "B" final, Kozak came in with a career-best time of 50.84.
- Nearly beating his personal best, Nolte claimed sixth in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 56.75, improving by nearly a second from his preliminary race.
- The Owls' top finisher in the 200-yard freestyle was junior team captain Cole Wisecarver who took seventh (1:41.27) and set a new personal best during the morning prelim with a time of 1:41.03. Connor Smoak and Shawn String also swam career bests during the finals with times of 1:42.61 and 1:43.26, respectively.
- Megan Reuter, Hannah Roper, Kyleigh Firman and Melanie Doan comprised the 200-yard medley relay team that took seventh overall with an impressive time of 1:46.68.
- Firman had another strong swim in the 100-yard butterfly as she took 13th overall hitting a time of 57.55.
- Senior Roper took seventh in the 100-yard breaststroke final coming in at 1:04.30.
- Doan beat her lifetime best in the 100-yard breaststroke by exactly one second as she finished in 1:06.90, which was good for second in the "C" final.
The Owls will compete in the third and final day of George Mason's Patriot Invitational on Saturday, Nov. 19 with preliminaries beginning at 10 a.m. and finals starting at 6 p.m.