ATHENS, Ga. -
Florida Atlantic University women’s swimming and diving’s Victoria Moretti continued her winning ways on Friday night as she claimed the title of 2017 Conference USA (C-USA) Swimming and Diving 1-meter Champion after breaking the school and freshman record in the finals. Her fellow teammates also fared well as Hannah Roper competed in the championship final of the 100-yard breaststroke, and the women set six new lifetime bests throughout the day.
Making A Splash
- Moretti added C-USA 1-meter champion to her resume as she won the event breaking a nearly 10-year old FAU record with a score of 296.55. The previous record was set by Lauren Harvath, on Dec. 20, 2008. Moretti’s score is also an FAU freshman record and personal best for the diver. She currently holds both school and freshman records in the 1- and 3-meter dives.
- Brooke Johnson shaved nearly 10 seconds off her prelim time to finish seventh in the 400-yard IM “B” final with a lifetime best time of 4:42.03.
- In the 100-yard butterfly “C” final, Kyleigh Firman and Kelsey Witkay took fifth (57.13) and seventh (57.54). Firman’s time is a new personal best for the junior.
- Savannah Sawyers is the first Owl to win her finals heat, apart from diver Victoria Moretti, as she took first in the 100-yard breaststroke “C” race with a career-best 1:05.60. Melanie Doan also competed in the event and took seventh in 1:07.00.
- In one of her last races as an Owl, senior Hannah Roper earns eighth place (1:03.77) in the 100 breast championship final nearly beating her lifetime best time.
- Megan Reuter and Kalanne Krause took part in the 100-yard backstroke “C” event and came in seventh (59.73) and eighth (59.88), respectively.
- The final race of day three was the 400-yard medley relay in which Reuter, Roper, Firman and Devon Mark placed sixth (3:54.22).
- FAU is in sixth place with 156 points. FIU has maintained the lead with a score of 641.
- Johnson just made the cut to move on to the 400 IM “B” final with a time of 4:51.91. In the 200 free prelims, Julia Alberti barely missed the cut but put up a lifetime best time of 1:57.62.
- Firman and Witkay would be the Owls’ representatives in the 100 fly “C” final as they posted times of 57.76 and 58.05, respectively.
- Roper advanced to the 100 breast championship final after taking eighth in the preliminary race (1:03.51). Sawyers moved on to compete in the “C” final (1:06.21) as did Doan (1:07.83).
- FAU had two swimmers make the cut for the 100 back “C” final. Reuter put up a personal best time of 59.17 and Krause followed with a 59.80. Alexis DeLisle came up just short but set a new career-best time (1:00.51).
- To end the morning’s events, Moretti nearly broke her FAU freshman record in the 1-meter dive with a score of 285.75 to take first in prelims and move on to the evening’s finals. Beyer also had a solid outing, scoring 221.25, and will join Moretti in the championship finals.
The last day of the 2017 C-USA Championships will be Saturday, Feb. 25 with prelims at 10:30 a.m. followed by finals at 6 p.m. The finals will be streamed live on ESPN3. The evening’s events will consist of the 1650-yard freestyle, 200-yard backstroke, 100-yard freestyle, 200-yard breaststroke, 200-yard butterfly, platform diving, and 400-yard freestyle relay. The link to the live stream is http://es.pn/2lpWNca, and live results can be found HERE. Result updates will also be available throughout the meet by following the team on Twitter and Instagram (fauswimdive).