Athens, Ga. -
Florida Atlantic University men’s swimming and diving had another fruitful day at the 2017 Coastal Collegiate Sports Association (CCSA) Swimming & Diving Championships as they had 14 lifetime bests, and diver Ryan McIntire saw his second win of the meet in the 3-meter with another record-breaking score. With the help of his fellow swimmers, including Connor Hodges, Marco Leo, John Nolte, John Brennock and many others, the men are in third place with a score of 455.
On Deck with Coach Preacco
“We had numerous lifetime bests in the morning and this afternoon, but the swimmers really stepped it up for finals and improved their ranking race after race,” said Head Swim and Dive Coach Lara Preacco. “Of course Ryan (McIntire) impressed again with incredible performances on the 1- and 3-meter with personal, school, championship and CCSA records on both boards. It was a great job from all our swimmers and divers.”
Making A Splash
- McIntire followed up his 1-meter performance on Wednesday night by breaking the 400-point mark to win the 3-meter with a score of 414.55. This is a new CCSA, CCSA Championship meet and FAU record for the graduate student. Teammate Miles Miller also had a solid outing taking fifth with a personal best score of 349.20.
- In the 500-yard freestyle “A” final, Hodges surpassed his personal best time and took sixth (4:32.87). In the “C” final, Alex Taber broke the lifetime best he set in the prelim with a first-place finish in 4:37.83. Teammates Michael Rahrig and Matthew Menendez also set career bests in the race with times of 4:40.50 and 4:40.65, respectively.
- Leo posted a 1:51.59 in the 200-yard IM “A” final, which earned him sixth. Calvin Lillo competed in the “B” final and took sixth with a time 1:53.63 while Sean Arrington and Christian Pineiro packed a one-two punch in the “C” final coming in at 1:53.82 and 1:54.29.
- The duo of Nolte and Brennock performed well in the 50-yard freestyle earning fifth and sixth. Nolte swam a 20.49 while Brennock set a new career best with a time of 20.53.
- The 200-yard freestyle relay team had a fourth-place finish (1:21.45) as Nolte had an amazing 50 free anchor time of 19.75.
- The team remains in third-place but is nipping at the heels of Incarnate Word who is just 19 points ahead in the second-place spot.
- McIntire won the 3-meter prelim with a score of 372.50. Miller followed in fifth place (334.80).
- In the 200 free “B” relay during the morning trials, Michael Rahrig swam the first leg with a personal best 50 free of 21.63. Phillip Crouch III, Arrington and Jason Woodburn followed as the squad came in third (1:27.59.).
- Sophomore Hodges swam a lifetime best of 4:33.44 to make the cut for the 500 free “A” final. Taber (4:41.55) and Rahrig (4:42.49) both had personal best times in the event.
- Leo also advanced to a final after swimming a 1:51.90 in the 200-yard IM.
- Nolte and Brennock secured their place in the 50 free final as Nolte swam a career-best 20.43 and Brennock came in at 20.60 in the prelims. Cole Wisecarver just missed the cut for the “A” final but set a new personal best with a time of 20.93 as did Colin Kozak with a lifetime best of 21.07.
Day three of the CCSA Championships will begin with preliminaries at 10 a.m. and conclude with finals at 6 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 17. The day’s events will include the 400-yard IM, 100-yard butterfly, 200-yard freestyle, 100-yard breaststroke, 100-yard backstroke and the 400-yard medley relay. The free live stream for both sessions can be found at www.BigSouthSports.com/Watch. You can also follow the team on Twitter @fauswimdive for live updates throughout the meet.