The NCAA, which is the governing body of college athletics, requires that all student-athletes maintain their academic eligibility to compete in their respective sports.
FULL TIME STATUS: A student-athlete must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester. The only exception to this rule would be a senior who needs less than 12 credits to graduate, or a student with a learning disability who can be enrolled in less than 12 credits and still be considered "full time" by the university. (Remedial classes taken at a community college can count toward a student's full time status, provided that the enrollment in the class is a requirement for admission)
Freshman Year Eligibility: A student-athlete must have successfully passed and completed eighteen (18) degree applicable credits between the fall and spring semesters, and must have completed twenty-four (24) credit hours of course work toward a degree during the fall, spring and summer semesters to be eligible.
**Only 6 credits earned in summer school may be applied toward the required 24 credit hours. In other words, the student-athlete must have passed 18 of the 24 credits before the summer school session.**
Sophomore, Junior & Senior Eligibility: Student-athletes must successfully complete 18 degree applicable credits between the fall and spring semesters each year to be eligible.
All students entering their fifth semester (sophomore year) of college must have officially declared a major!!
Students must pass 6 degree applicable credits each semester to be eligible in the following semester.
- Students entering their 5th semester must have completed 40% of their degree requirements (i.e. 48 credits)
- Students entering their 7th semester must have completed 60% of their degree requirements (i.e. 72 credits)
- Students entering their 9th semester must have completed 80% of their degree requirements (i.e. 96 credits)
Grade Point Average
- Students entering their 3rd and 4th semesters must have a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 1.8
- Students entering their 5th and 6th semesters must have a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 1.9
- Students entering their 7th and 8th semesters must have a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0
- Students entering their 9th and 10th semesters must have a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0
- Failure to satisfy any of these NCAA or University rules will render you INELIGIBLE for competition