May 2, 2012
At the 2012 Sun Belt Conference Championships, Gerboles-Parrilla was just a stroke outside of the top 10, topping the FAU squad with a 12th-place finish. His round scores included a 1-over-par 73 first day, and the Owls’ lowest mark of the tournament, a par-72 second round that included seven birdies. The freshman native of Leon, Spain, finished third on the team of those that competed in more than five tournaments this season, with a scoring average of 76.14.
For the second time this season, Call receives this weekly honor. She recorded hits in all five of FAU’s games this week, including four games with multiple hits, and returned to the pitching circle with two successful outings. On April 24, Call pitched four scoreless innings against ULM in her first pitching appearance since very early in the season. Hitting-wise, in that night’s doubleheader, she was a combined 4-for-7, including her first triple of the season, and then the following night, was 3-for-4 with a home run. On April 28, in a doubleheader at home against Middle Tennessee State University, she went 3-for-4 with a home run and a double, had four RBI’s and scored three runs. Call was also the winning pitcher in FAU’s 9-1 first-game win, throwing a complete game six-hitter.
Softball wraps up regular season play with a home-and-home against FIU this weekend. On Friday, May 4, they host the Panthers at the FAU Softball Stadium at 6 p.m., and then travel to Miami the following night for another 6 p.m. first pitch.
The Sun Belt Conference-leading baseball squad is the only other FAU squad in action this week, and they have a three-game homestand at the FAU Baseball Stadium against Western Kentucky University. The Friday, May 4 game time is 6:30 p.m., then it’s a 4 p.m. start on Saturday, May 5, before wrapping the series up on Sunday, May 6 at 1 p.m.
FAU 2012 Players of the Week:
- Week of January 23: Greg Gantt (Men's Basketball) and April Goins (Women's Basketball)
- Week of January 30: Anett Kovacs (Women's Swimming and Diving) and Shavar Richardson (Men's Basketball)
- Week of February 6: Taylor Albrecht (Men's Tennis) and Marlene Ryan (Women's Tennis)
- Week of February 13: Rebecca Hallam (Track) and Raymond Taylor (Men's Basketball)
- Week of February 20: Stephanie Call (Softball) and Alex Hudak (Baseball)
- Week of February 27: Mike Albaladejo (Baseball) and Eszter Bucz (Women's Swimming and Diving)
- Week of March 5: Chenise Miller (Women’s Basketball) and Mike Spano (Baseball)
- Week of March 12: Taylor Albrecht (Men’s Tennis) and Heather Barnes (Softball)
- Week of March 19: Mark Nelson (Baseball) and Marlene Ryan (Women’s Tennis)
- Week of March 26: Kevin Alexander (Baseball) and Taylor Fawbush (Softball)
- Week of April 2: Corey Keller (Baseball) and Ashani Roberts (Track)
- Week of April 9: R.J. Alvarez (Baseball) and Jordan Stovall (Softball)
- Week of April 16: Samantha Messer (Softball) and Michael Vidal (Cross Country)
- Week of April 23: Taylor Albrecht (Men’s Tennis) and Catalina Ene (Women’s Tennis)
- Week of April 30: Stephanie Call (Softball) and Pablo Gerboles-Parrilla (Men’s Golf)