April 24, 2013
I hope that if you are reading this you were able to attend the 2013 Spring Football game. There was a lot of effort put into the event by everyone in athletics and it was fun to be a part of a true team effort.
- The marketing staff was there early with the inflatables and making sure the Boca Raton youth's day was all set.
- Football began the day early as well hosting hundreds of high school juniors, introducing them to FAU with talks and tours as well as an opportunity to see the stadium, the team and the coaches.
- The development staff was next hosting a fantastic luncheon which featured FAU Alum Alfred Morris.
- Then it was the scrimmage where the Owls showed the skills they have honed throughout the spring as well as showcasing the skills they may never have practiced (i.e. the offensive and defensive linemen "returning punts".
- Finally, the media relations office closed out the day with player and coaches interviews.
- We were back at it on Sunday hosting the 2013 Senior Awards Banquet and the softball games as well as softball clinic and community service event by playing host to the Marines. Monday it was the University 2012-13 Honors Convocation that recognized baseball's Mark Nelson and Marilyne Cadieux who earned the male and female student-athlete of the year honors.
I have had the opportunity to file away the memories with photos and videos, let's hear it for our student Ginette Javier, who put together the Owl Scholarship Fund videos, as well as the Alfred Morris halftime video, and JC Ridley who captured the day for Owlpix.com.
We have several sports still in season, Justin Johnson, Dale Long and Jena Lamendola are busy working covering the action, my attention has turned towards the fall of 2013. We have taken head shots, written bios and will begin the process of writing the material for the upcoming campaign, as well as the summer football magazines. Graduation is just around the corner as well. Don't forget to congratulate those who have represented us so well.