Student-Athlete Music Video
BOCA RATON, Fla. - Florida Atlantic University's Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) presented the Second Annual FAU Owlspys Awards which was held in the University Theatre within the Dorothy F. Schmidt College of Arts and Letters at FAU's Boca Raton campus.
The night was highlighted by 21 awards, including the "Student-Athlete of the Year" awards. The female honor was bestowed to Claire Emslie, a senior on the women's soccer team who will graduate in the coming weeks with a degree in exercise science and health promotion and holds a 3.886 G.P.A. Emslie is the only FAU player to earn all-conference honors four-consecutive seasons. She was a 2015 National Soccer Coaches Association of the America All-Central Region second team member after wrapping up one of the most impressive careers in the history of FAU women's soccer. With seven goals in 2015, Emslie broke the FAU career goals-scored mark, set in 1994, and moved into second place with ten game-winning strikes. She led the Owls to their best season since 2005.
The male "Student-Athlete of the Year" honor was awarded to senior swimmer Matthieu Burtez. The accounting major, who will graduate the first week of May with a 3.945 G.P.A., participated in every 2015-16 meet and was one of the 2016 CCSA All-Academic Honorees. At the Georgia Tech Invitational this season, Burtez set a season-best time in the 50 free (20.38). That time ranked him second among CCSA swimmers. In the same meet, Burtez's 100 free (45.10) time placed him third among all CCSA competitors. This season, Burtez also set the school record in the 100 IM (53.07) and was a part of the 200 medley relay team who set a school record with a time of 1:29.58.
The female "Athlete of the Year" honor was awarded to Kylee Hanson. Kylee Hanson was named Preseason Conference USA Pitcher of the Year and has lived up to the accolades. She earned ESPNW National Player of the Week honors for her performance on the opening weekend, including throwing her second no-hitter in a 1-0 win over Tulsa as part of a two-win, two-save weekend. Hanson has earned C-USA pitcher of the week honors four times in 2016 and a total of seven times in her career. She has thrown 10 complete games in 2016, holds a 17-3 record, a 0.67 ERA and has tallied 182 strikeouts.
The male "Athlete of the Year" honor was awarded to junior defensive lineman Trey Hendrickson who turned in a stellar season in 2015. The defensive end recorded a total of 39 tackles but nearly half were tackles for a loss and a third were sacks. He also forced five fumbles on the season, including one that ended in a score which tied the game at UF. He then blocked the extra point attempt that would put the Owls in position to take the game with a score and extra point. Versus FIU, he forced a fumble that set up the Owls' first score in a game that they rolled to a 31-17 victory. Hendrickson finished the season No. 2 nationally in sacks with 13.5, No. 1 in C-USA and set FAU's all-time single-season sack record.
Other honorees include:
All-Freshmen Women's Team Members:
• Jada Massie (track), Julia Lewkowicz (beach volleyball), Gabriela Martin (volleyball), Ra'Kyra Gabriel (basketball), Emily Summa (swimming and diving), Bethany Hardcastle (cross country), Mimi Godoy (soccer), Madisyn Palmer (softball), Tai Barber (golf), Alexa Laster (cheer), Victoria Straus (dance)
All-Freshman Men's Team Members:
• Conor Fitzgerald (cross country), Anthony Schohn (tennis), Tyler Frank (baseball), Douglas Landvik (soccer), Jeantal Cylla (basketball), Michael Rahrig (swimming and diving), Jason Driskel (football) Azeez Al-Shaair (football)
• Coach of the Year - Joan Joyce (softball) and John McCormack (baseball)
• Female Sportsmanship Award - Brianne Wojciakowski (volleyball)
• Male Sportsmanship Award - Brett Lashley (baseball)
• Best Performance of the Year- Jackson Trapp (basketball)
• Student-Athlete Choice Award - Jennifer Norton (strength and conditioning)
• Funniest Action Shot of the Year - Lauren Hudak (cheer)
• Female Outstanding Academic Achievement Award - Bianca Biglione (tennis)
• Male Outstanding Academic Achievement Award - Hakeem Asad (soccer)
• Female Community Service Award - Assata Trader (track)
• Male Community Service Award - Michael Perez (golf)
• Team Community Service Award - Women's Basketball
• Female OWLstanding Spirit Award - Andrea Galinis (beach volleyball)
• Male OWLstanding Spirit Award - Trey Nickerson (men's tennis)
• Female Athlete of the Year - Kylee Hanson (softball)
• Male Athlete of the Year - Trey Hendrickson (football)
• Female Student-Athlete of the Year - Claire Emslie (women's soccer)
• Male Student-Athlete of the Year - Matthieu Burtez (men's swimming)
• Owl Cup - Women's Basketball
Highlights of the Show
• Dance performance by the FAU Dance team which finished No. 7 Nationally at the NDA Collegiate Competition.
• The National Anthem was performed by Bethany Hardcastle from women's track and cross country.
• Vocal performance by Heather Walton from women's tennis.
• All-sport music video and a golf cart karaoke ensemble featuring FAU coaches.