April 17, 2012
Messer threw her fourth complete game of the season in FAU’s 6-2 win over Troy University on April 14. The freshman gave up just six hits and two runs in the outing. She also pitched for the Marines’ team in the April 15 charity fundraiser to benefit the Semper Fi Fund. For the season, the Sarasota native is 3-6 with a team-low 3.52 ERA.
She joins teammates Stephanie Call, Heather Barnes, Taylor Fawbush and Jordan Stovall as winners of this award during the spring. The team takes its biannual road trip to Louisiana beginning on Saturday, April 21, first stopping in Lafayette to take on the University of Louisiana-Lafayette. Doubleheader times on Saturday are 2 and 4 p.m., with an Sunday, April 22 finale at 2 p.m.
Vidal, a freshman, is running in spring meets alongside the women’s track team. On April 14 in Miami, he shaved a minute and a half off his own FAU school record in the men's 1,500-meter run, set nearly a month before. Finishing in a time of 3:53.46 this weekend, he eclipsed his previous mark of 3:55.07 set on March 16. Also this spring, he has broken the school mark in the 800 meter run (1:54.73 on March 23), and his 5,000 meter time from February 18 (15:18.18) ranks him second all-time among FAU men’s runners.
The track athletes will have their final full meet before the Sun Belt Championships this weekend, in the Tom Jones Memorial Invitational in Gainesville.
The baseball team travels to Orlando to take on UCF tonight at 6:30 p.m., and hosts Arkansas State University for a three-game set beginning Friday, April 21 at 6:30 p.m. The following day is a 4 p.m. first pitch, and the finale on Sunday, April 22 is at 1 p.m.
The women’s golf team is currently in Muscle Shoals, Alabama, competing in the 2012 Sun Belt Championships at the Cypress Lakes Golf and Country Club. The second round, on the Fighting Joe Course at the Shoals is today, and the tournament concludes on Wednesday, April 18.
Also preparing to compete in their season-ending conference tournaments are the men’s and women’s tennis squads. Their Sun Belt Championships are taking place this weekend in Denton, Texas. Play for both begins Thursday, April 19 and continues until Sunday, April 22.
FAU 2012 Players of the Week:
- Week of January 23: Greg Gantt (Men's Basketball) and April Goins (Women's Basketball)
- Week of January 30: Anett Kovacs (Women's Swimming and Diving) and Shavar Richardson (Men's Basketball)
- Week of February 6: Taylor Albrecht (Men's Tennis) and Marlene Ryan (Women's Tennis)
- Week of February 13: Rebecca Hallam (Track) and Raymond Taylor (Men's Basketball)
- Week of February 20: Stephanie Call (Softball) and Alex Hudak (Baseball)
- Week of February 27: Mike Albaladejo (Baseball) and Eszter Bucz (Women's Swimming and Diving)
- Week of March 5: Chenise Miller (Women’s Basketball) and Mike Spano (Baseball)
- Week of March 12: Taylor Albrecht (Men’s Tennis) and Heather Barnes (Softball)
- Week of March 19: Mark Nelson (Baseball) and Marlene Ryan (Women’s Tennis)
- Week of March 26: Kevin Alexander (Baseball) and Taylor Fawbush (Softball)
- Week of April 2: Corey Keller (Baseball) and Ashani Roberts (Track)
- Week of April 9: R.J. Alvarez (Baseball) and Jordan Stovall (Softball)
- Week of April 16: Samantha Messer (Softball) and Michael Vidal (Cross Country)