April 5, 2012
Keller had a .733 batting average (11-for-15) with three home runs in helping the league-leading Owls to a three-game conference sweep of University of Louisiana-Lafayette last weekend. A native of Cherry Creek, Colorado, the junior outfielder hit a home run in three of the four games last week and has had multiple-hit efforts in his last six games, dating back to the series finale against Middle Tennessee State University on March 25. Keller drove in six runs while scoring an additional seven runs during that stretch, and on the season, his batting average has improved to .345 with 20 RBIs and a team-leading six home runs.
During last weekend’s Best Western/UNF Invitational, Roberts finished fourth overall in the triple jump, at an even 12 meters. This comes a week after she finished eighth at the UCF Invitational, leaping 12.41 meters, and the week prior to that, earning a first-place finish at the Miami Hurricane Invitational (12.20 meters). The Miami native has had continued outdoor success after setting the school record in this event on three different occasions during the indoor season, the last during the SBC Championships with a jump of 12.33 meters. That mark earned her a fifth-place finish in the event.
Track heads to Gainesville this weekend to take part in the UF Florida Relays. Baseball hosts the University of South Alabama, with games on Friday, April 6 (6:30 p.m.), Saturday, April 7 (4 p.m.) and Sunday, April 8 (1 p.m.)
The softball team travels to Denton, Texas, for a three-game set against the University of North Texas Mean Green. They will compete in a doubleheader on Friday, April 6 (5 and 7 p.m.) and finish up the following day at 1 p.m.
Sand volleyball competes on Friday, April 6, in a tri-dual match in DeLand against Stetson University and the University of Florida, with times to be announced. The women’s tennis squad will host Binghamton University on Saturday, April 7 at 1 p.m. at Evert Tennis Academy.
FAU 2012 Players of the Week:
- Week of January 23: Greg Gantt (Men's Basketball) and April Goins (Women's Basketball)
- Week of January 30: Anett Kovacs (Women's Swimming and Diving) and Shavar Richardson (Men's Basketball)
- Week of February 6: Taylor Albrecht (Men's Tennis) and Marlene Ryan (Women's Tennis)
- Week of February 13: Rebecca Hallam (Track) and Raymond Taylor (Men's Basketball)
- Week of February 20: Stephanie Call (Softball) and Alex Hudak (Baseball)
- Week of February 27: Mike Albaladejo (Baseball) and Eszter Bucz (Women's Swimming and Diving)
- Week of March 5: Chenise Miller (Women’s Basketball) and Mike Spano (Baseball)
- Week of March 12: Taylor Albrecht (Men’s Tennis) and Heather Barnes (Softball)
- Week of March 19: Mark Nelson (Baseball) and Marlene Ryan (Women’s Tennis)
- Week of March 26: Kevin Alexander (Baseball) and Taylor Fawbush (Softball)
- Week of April 2: Corey Keller (Baseball) and Ashani Roberts (Track)