March 27, 2012
Fawbush performed well both in the circle and at the plate last week. In a 2-0 loss to FIU on March 21, she threw a complete game, allowing only one earned run and striking out five. Then on March 24, the junior recorded the 22nd no-hitter in school history, but lost her second decision of the week to the University of South Alabama by the score of 3-1. She went 2-for-3 at the plate in that game, and followed that up in the second game of the doubleheader with a 3-for-4 performance, while scoring a run and adding an RBI. Fawbush also returned to the circle in game two that night and threw two hitless innings of relief for her first save of the season. The Winter Garden native ended the week by singling and scoring against South Alabama in the March 25 series finale, in addition to making her second straight relief appearance. For the week, she hit .500 (6-for-12) with two doubles, a triple, two RBI and two runs scored, and pitched in all four FAU games this week, throwing 16.2 innings pitched with a 2.10 ERA.
Alexander improved his record to 4-0 on the season with seven dominant innings against Middle Tennessee State University on March 24. The sophomore right hander scattered six hits and one run in the Owls' 4-1 victory. However, what made Alexander's performance so critical was that his counterpart from MTSU had a perfect game through seven innings. The native of Coral Springs matched Johnathan Frebis pitch for pitch and kept the game scoreless until the Blue Raiders scraped across a two-out RBI single in the seventh inning. All six hits allowed by Alexander were singles. On the season, he stands 4-0 with a sparkling 2.01 earned run average, and has also struck out 24 batters while issuing just six walks.
Baseball begins a nine-game homestand tonight when they host UCF, and continues through a three-game set beginning Friday, March 30, against the University of Louisiana-Lafayette. First pitch that night is 6:30 p.m., then at 4 p.m. the following day, with the finale on Sunday, April 1, beginning at 1 p.m.
Men's tennis hosts Brown University at Patch Reef Park at noon on Wednesday, March 28, and then is back at it again beginning Saturday, March 31 in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, for the three-day Sun Belt Shootout. The track and field squad will head north to Jacksonville to compete at the two-day UNF Invitational beginning on Friday, March 30.
Volleyball continues their spring schedule this week when they also travel to Jacksonville. They first play against Jacksonville University on Thursday, March 29, at 1 p.m., and the following day against the University of North Florida, with time TBA. Then, beginning Saturday, March 31, they will participate in the two-day UNF Tournament.
Finishing up their spring schedule is the men's soccer team with a doubleheader on Saturday, March 31. Both games take place at the FAU Soccer Stadium versus Barry University at 10 a.m. and Palm Beach Atlantic University at 4 p.m.
FAU 2012 Players of the Week:
- Week of January 23: Greg Gantt (Men's Basketball) and April Goins (Women's Basketball)
- Week of January 30: Anett Kovacs (Women's Swimming and Diving) and Shavar Richardson (Men's Basketball)
- Week of February 6: Taylor Albrecht (Men's Tennis) and Marlene Ryan (Women's Tennis)
- Week of February 13: Rebecca Hallam (Track) and Raymond Taylor (Men's Basketball)
- Week of February 20: Stephanie Call (Softball) and Alex Hudak (Baseball)
- Week of February 27: Mike Albaladejo (Baseball) and Eszter Bucz (Women's Swimming and Diving)
- Week of March 5: Chenise Miller (Women's Basketball) and Mike Spano (Baseball)
- Week of March 12: Taylor Albrecht (Men's Tennis) and Heather Barnes (Softball)
- Week of March 19: Mark Nelson (Baseball) and Marlene Ryan (Women's Tennis)
- Week of March 26: Kevin Alexander (Baseball) and Taylor Fawbush (Softball)