Dear Owl Nation,
Happy New Year! Thank you to everyone who made 2017 one of the best in Florida Atlantic University history. We were able to hit some records at the end of the Fall semester. Our student-athletes continue to perform at a high level academically, recording a school-record fifth consecutive semester with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher. Our football program tied a school record for wins, won the Conference USA Championship and capped off the year with a Boca Raton Bowl Championship. We ended the year with the nation’s second longest winning streak and set some school records in attendance as well. We had an 84 percent increase in attendance from the 2016 season. We appreciate all the friends, families, alums and fans who jumped on the “Lane Train.”
The Spring semester should take us to even greater heights. Sometime this month, you may notice some construction work going on around FAU Stadium as The Schmidt Family Center for Academic and Athletic Excellence begins construction. Once completed, it will be one of the finest facilities in the country and allow us to develop and recruit future Owls at the highest levels. Thank you to all of our friends and supporters who have helped make this facility a reality.
There are so many things to celebrate from the Fall semester. Here are some of the highlights:
- Our student-athletes earned the highest Graduation Success Rate (GSR) in program history at 81 percent. We have increased our rate by 15 percent over the past five years
- The Owls earned over a 3.0 GPA for a school-record fifth straight semester and recorded an all-time high in community service hours
- We reported a single-year Academic Progress Rate (APR) score of 979, also the highest in school history, and a 37 percent increase over the past five years
Life Skills Development
- In November, we had our Student-Athlete Career Fair. We had over 150 student-athletes attend and 17 different employers present
- The Student-Athlete Center for Academic Excellence hosted Time Management, Hazing Prevention, Nutrition and Power of Social Media Workshops throughout the semester
- Student-athletes participated in a Week of Service, giving back to surrounding areas. They volunteered at Delray Beach Boys and Girls Club, Coconut Creek SOS Children Village, Youth Activity Center of Boca Raton and Boca Helping Hands
- Our football team recorded 11 wins for the second time in program history and earned its first bowl win since 2008
- The Owls went 8-0 in Conference USA to become only the fourth league team to ever earn that record, and won the C-USA Championship with a convincing win in the title game
- Sophomore running back “Motor” Devin Singletary led the nation with 32 rushing and 33 total touchdowns, with both of those marks the third highest ever in NCAA FBS since 1956
- Support was outstanding as attendance increased 84 percent from last year
- Our women’s soccer program tallied its third winning season in a row
- Over 2,000 fans came to support our Owls in the largest home attendance in program history against Florida
- Your continued support boosted our average home attendance by 54 percent
- Our men’s soccer team continued to grow under first-year head coach Joey Worthen, winning its final game against Marshall to spark momentum into 2018. We are excited about the future under Coach Worthen’s leadership
- Our volleyball program concluded its fourth consecutive winning season and third consecutive postseason appearance
- Our cross country team sent six women and five men to the NCAA South Regionals and seven Owl runners posted personal bests in the C-USA Championships
If you have interest in making a contribution to the Schmidt Family Center for Academic and Athletic Success or donating to our Owl Scholarship Fund, please call our development office at (561) 297-4621.
Our football season ticket drive has started. The excitement is building for the 2018 season ... join us! For info on season tickets for the 2018 football season, call 1-866-FAU-OWLS.
Thanks again for all you do for FAU.
Vice President and Director of Athletics